Southern Lumber Company
Southern Lumber grew out of the logging industry of the Santa Cruz Mountains, in what is now Big Basin State Park, when it sold large timbers to the quicksilver (mercury) mines in the Almaden Valley, and lumber to the orchards and farmlands of the Santa Clara Valley.
In 1910, Southern Lumber opened a distribution yard just south of San José, which the city gradually grew around and is the site of the new DCP campus! Since they purchased Southern Lumber in 1936, three generations of the Pohle family adapted the business to the changing times—navigating the Great Depression, the widening of Monterey Road, and later a disastrous fire.
They expanded and reinvented Southern Lumber repeatedly to serve the emerging DIY movements of the 20th century, even marketing what we now think of as “tiny house” kits way back in the 1940s. Southern Lumber has been a true San José institution, a beloved force for economic growth and individual creativity for more than 100 years. DCP is proud to carry forward the Pohle family’s tradition of service, relevance, and resilience in this historic space and in the San José community.